Project 1: Ephemeral Site


     A Window to the Strawberry Moonrise

      My Ephemeral Land Art Project Inspired by Andy Goldsworthy


I began with the simple idea of creating a log sculpture in the middle of a stone fire pit. A log rebellion. These logs no longer carelessly tossed in for the purpose of providing ambiance, warmth, or heat to make s'mores. These would be logs defying purpose and gravity to stand tall, balancing precariously in an attempt to transcend their fate.... Like Andy Goldsworthy, I offered them to the fire pit not to be destroyed but in the hope of them becoming something more. 

Soon I was inspired to add softness and color to the wood sculpture. Hedges of hydrangeas in the yard provided blossoms of blue. Next, I felt the need to connect the sculpture to the river somehow. Using left over pieces from the log pile, in Goldsworthy style, I placed them in nature's meandering form down to the river bank. 

Seeing the sculpture as a window, I awaited the sunset to the west, capturing a perfect triangle of golden light in its geometric apex. I thought my project was finished... until I remembered it was the night of June's full moon, the Strawberry Moon, known for expansion, possibility, transformation, authentic expression. 

Looking through from the other side, facing west, I waited to capture in time-lapse the Strawberry moonrise. However, I realized that I wanted a dramatic welcome for this moon. Not only did I build a fire under my sculpture, but also set the log river alight. 

Finally, the moon appeared slowly above the trees across the river, rising through the sculpture, reflected on the water, eventually resting on the the top like a perfect halo. It was an incredible experience. To my surprise the sculpture was still burning in the morning, and it continues to burn as I write this. I look forward to seeing its ultimate transformation, a process that only weather and time now control...

Sparks of Light 

Balance in Nature 



Design and Construction Begins using found materials in my immediate environment...

Adding Logs Meandering to the River....


Simplicity of Form ~A Window to the World
Stages of the Project's Transformation


A Window Awaiting the Rise of The Full Moon


Hydrangeas Seeking Structure


Framing the Sunset in a View to the  West...Awaiting the Moonrise in the East



Fire Alight for the Strawberry Moonrise... Framing the reflection on the river



Still burning the next morning.....Continued Transformation

...Eventually It Will All Disappear Into Itself, Back to the Earth






UPDATE:

Charred, But Still Standing

FINAL UPDATE:

At the Point of Total Collapse... Goldsworthy Worthy!

















 











Comments

  1. I love the way the log structure was held together by a "keystone" log at the top, the same way a keystone holds together a stone bridge or a keystone species holds together a whole ecosystem. What a transformation and journey! Thanks for the fun ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with this project! Just the fact that you were able to balance the logs so well is baffling. I really appreciate that you followed the time progression of this project, Goldsworthy would defiantly be pleased. Your documentation is stunning and I especially love the Hydrangea iteration of the piece! great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love how you let the project guide and let it form intuitively instead of working against the elements. I also really appreciate all your documentation, I think this really shows all the effort you put in. I also really like the overall aesthetics of your project. Hydrangeas are my favorite flower and their addition to your piece added a really nice tough! It almost felt like a beautiful wedding altar to me. Finally, I thing it was immaculate timing that you were able to capture the strawberry moon in your project, yet another example of letting the elements work with you not fighting against them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you kept up with the project and how many things you did to it. It makes it feel more personal and like it has a purpose. I like how you embellished it with flowers then damaged it with fire. I also thought the way you connected each log to each other was really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment